Thursday, April 9, 2009

First training session report

My first session with the trainer went pretty well. I don't think he expected me to be as strong as I was. Some of the things he had me do were pretty basic, but I'm sure it will get harder in the next few sessions, and I'm even more certain I will be sore tomorrow.

I can't remember everything we did in the exact order, but I'm going to try to give a full report so I can try to keep track of what we're doing. At least for today, it wasn't about completing "x" number of push ups or squats, etc, is was about exerting good effort for 45 seconds and doing as many repetitions as I could.

The way the 2 on 1 training works is that there is one trainer working 2 of us for one hour. I started with a warm up on the treadmill for about 10 minutes while the other person worked with the trainer. When it was my turn to work with the trainer, I did three circuits of each of the following for about 45 seconds each: (1) push ups off a bar, (2) double arm rows with resistance bands, (3) and mountain climbers holding onto a bar. Then it was back to the treadmill for about 12 minutes. The workout continued with and additional 3 circuits of (1) squats with a 15 pound weight and (2) a squat/arm press up with two 7 pounders. He also had me do intervals of knee ups. Then it was back to to the treadmill for another 8 minutes. We finished up with ab work which consisted mainly of doing sit ups while catching and throwing a 6 pound medicine ball. I think I did a total of 36 sit ups on each side. He also had me do a dead lift-squat combo. I think there were 1 or 2 other exercises in there, but I can't think of them at the moment.

All in all, I think it was a good workout. I used heavier weights than I would have doing it here at home. I also pushed myself harder than I would have at home, and that is what I need. Aaron said he'd give me some interval training to do while I'm on the treadmill, today all I did was walk at pace of 3.5 mph on a 5% incline. I'd like to run on the treadmill, but I didn't want to over do it on my first day.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a day off; I might do some Yoga, we'll see how sore I am in the morning.

No comments: