Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 29: More running intervals

One reason I've never joined a gym is that I'm a little intimidated by the cardio machines and the weight machines. I don't know how to use the weight machines at all. Part of the problem is that I'm short so I have to fidddle with the settings to get the right height. I also find it to be a pain to have to adjust the weight settings, I have no idea what weight to use. None of that seems worth the effort.

I am more comfortable using the free weights, especially since I started doing DVDs like Jillian's and Jari's which have plenty of strength training moves. I have written out a little cheat sheet and take it with me to the gym. I only feel slightly dorky doing that, but at my age, I'm beyond worrying about what other people think of me and what I'm doing.

As for the cardio machines, I know the basics of how to use them. I know how to get started, but I don't take advantage of all the different settings and training programs. I usually just use "Quick Start" and then adjust manually as I go along. I've used the elliptical and stair master machines in the past, but I don't really like those machines (I don't even know if stair masters still exist.) The past few times I've gone to the gym, I've stuck to the treadmill.

Today, I tried an interval training program. I set the time for 30 minutes, and the machine went back and forth between 2 minutes of walking at a 3.5 mph pace on a 3% incline and 90 seconds of running at a 4.7 mph pace. It was perfect!

As I have written before, I'm considering joing the rec center for the summer months, so I guess I should figure out how to use these machines to my advantage.

No comments: