Wednesday, May 13, 2009

If I bake it, I will eat it

I hosted a Mother's Day brunch on Sunday. I intended to keep the brunch simple and healthy, but as with most of my best laid plans, I got caught up in the idea of hosting the Best Mother's Day Brunch Ever. I ended up making more of a feast than I intended: I made (1) a quiche-like egg bake with asparagus, red pepper, and 3 kinds of cheese, (2) a cheesy ham and potato dish, and (3) my mother's special chocolate chip coffee cake. I managed to cut up some fruit (oranges, grapes, cantalope, honeydew, and strawberries) for a healthy option, but with all other fattening choices what did it really matter at that point. I do not fancy myself a gourmet cook by any means, but everything turned out really, really, good.

Per usual, I had tons of food left over. I sent as much of the coffee cake home with my guests as I could, and I pawned off some of the quiche and potato bakes as well, but I still had plenty left for my own fridge.

After eating a helping of the quiche and the potato bake for breakfast this morning, I decided to add up the points in the recipes. Man, that was a mistake. Sometimes, it's better not to know. I belive I did it correctly, and where I was unsure, I rounded up.

Here's the damage:

The Red Pepper and Asparagus Quiche totaled 60 points, and the recipe was supposed to make 12 servings, so at 5 pts per serving, that dish was certainly not the most offensive.

The Cheesy Ham and Potato bake totaled 96 points and came out to 8 pts per serving. Not great, but compared to the last one... not horrible.

And finally, the Chocolate Chip Coffee cake came out to a whopping 16.5 pts per serving. Yikes, and to think, I had at least 2 servings yesterday, one in the morning, and one later in the evening. This morning, I found myself eating the coffee cake right out of the pan. I ended up throwing it away because I knew I would finish it and then regret it.

No comments: