Thursday, May 14, 2009

Flat belly Diet: Jumpstart day 1

I've decided to give Prevention Magazine's Flat Belly Diet a go. The first part of the program is a jumpstart "anti-bloat" diet that lasts for 4 days. The program asks you to journal your mood and thoughts and rate your hunger before and after the meal. The scale goes from -5, -3, 0, 3, 5, and 7, with (-5) being "starving" and (7)being "a little too full."

Breakfast: I woke up in a good mood, perhaps a little bit tired. Excited to try this diet.
Thoughts: this is too much food. points are high: 11 by my calculations.
Hunger before: 0 (moderate)
Hunger after: 6, (somewhere btw just right (5) and too full (7))

I hope it's not cheating, but I drank my protein drink after working out: 3 pts, 120 calories, I'm sure I burned at least that many calories during my workout. It's the sodium I'm worried about, though, 60 mg.

Lunch: I'm hungrier than I expected to be at this point. I was pretty satisfied after breakfast. I'm wondering if I'm hungry because of my workout earlier this morning. My mood is a little irritable, and I'm short with the kids. Looks like this is a 2 pt lunch. I could not find "organic deli turkey" at the store last night, so I'm substituting an "all natural" deli turkey. It seems to me that the sodium content is kind of high at 490 mg, but I don't have anything to compare it to right now. I'm actually enjoying the Sassy water, it reminds me of one of those drinks they serve at fancy spas. I realized this morning that I forgot to add the ginger when I made the water last night. I did buy some, so when I make tomorrow's batch, hopefully I'll remember to add it. Is it cheating to eat the cucumbers? I hate to waste them ;)

Hunger before: -3
Hunger after: 0

I know the plan wants me to eat every 4 hours, but I'm going to have to modify that as well. I'll probably have my snack around 3:30 and dinner at 6:30 or so. I hope all of my "modifications" don't impact my results.

Snack: I was hungry for most of the afternoon, but I took the kids to the library and with my mind distracted, I no longer felt hungry. I made my smoothie, and it was fine. I needed something to eat. Mistakenly, I misread the shopping list, and I bought flaxseed instead of flaxseed oil. Again, I hope this modification doesn't affect my results. The Smoothie totaled 4 points.

Hunger before: 0
Hunger after: 5

Dinner: Again, my thoughts are that this is too much food, but it only comes out to a 5 point meal. I'm not that hungry to begin with, I'm going to have to eat my breakfast earlier in the day, because I had to eat both my snack and dinner about half an hour too early. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been eating my dinner until 8 pm or so, and that just doesn't work for me and my family.

Hunger before: not hungry, which is not really an option on the "scale," so I guess I'll say 1
Hunger after: 6, maybe ate a little bit too much, but I'm not overly full.

After being worried that my 11 point breakfast was going to have me way over my points for the day, I ended up consuming 25 points for the day, which is only 4 over my daily allotment of 21. I don't always add in my activity points, but sometimes I do. I gave myself 5 activity points for my workout this morning (50 minutes at high intensity), so I guess you could say I'm good for the day at 1 under.

I'm off for a quick walk around the block, which is what the diet recommends after eating.

No comments: