Friday, March 20, 2009

Another word about my weight

I just went back and read a few of my posts from last fall when I challenged myself to do 30 days straight of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I talked a lot about my weight, and it looks like at one point in October I was "a large piece of chocolate cake" away from 129 lbs. I never made it into the coveted 120s, and in fact I gained 3 pounds "virtually overnight."

Now, I'm essentially right back where I was when I first started to lose weight last July, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I don't feel anywhere near as "fat" as I did before. I feel strong, actually. I still wear a size 8, and I've noticed in the past few days that my pants are fitting better/looser. So, why does the scale say that my weight is increasing? Am I doing something wrong? Am I "over-training?" which is a term I recently heard Jillian say to Tara on Biggest Loser. Am I not drinking enough water? Should I even care about the number on the scale?

I know that I have body fat that I need to get rid of. Most of the body fat that concerns me is around my middle. Special K cereal used to have an ad campaign asking "can you pinch an inch?" Well, I can grab a fist full of disgusting fat from around both of my sides. This is where I need to lose most of my weight. I used to be worried about my "chunky" thighs, but those are really further down on my list of worries.

Hopefully I can sustain this latest effort to lose weight, and if I do, I hope that the weight starts falling off as well. I'm afraid I'll get discouraged if I don't start seeing the scale move down.

No comments: