Thursday, September 25, 2008

I wonder if they know each other

I have been a casual observer of NBC's show, The Biggest Loser, for a few seasons, so I at least knew who Jillian Michaels was when I stumbled upon her relatively new workout video, 30 Day Shred. I wasn't really looking to change my workout routine. I've been very happy with Jari Love's series of DVDs, I have 4 of them which I rotate through on a weekly basis. I find Jari's workouts challenging, I feel great when I'm done, and I have certainly seen positive changes in my physique. But, after watching the trailer for Jillian's 30 Day Shred DVD, I felt that she was challenging me.

I've tried just about everything to lose weight since the birth of my second child in October of 2005. I joined two different ladies only gyms; I've dieted; I've worked out with a personal trainer; I've worked out on my own; I've walked; I tried running; I workout with weights; I throw in some cardio. I've even tried a few "diet pills" and "colon cleaners," but no matter what combination of healthy eating and exercise I try, I simply do not see the results that I am looking for. The personal trainer I had was convinced that there was something wrong with my thyroid, so I had that checked, but it's fine.

This is not to say that I haven't seen any results. Sure, I've lost as much as 10 pounds. And, yes, since adding the free weights, I have definitely seen an increase in my strength and endurance, and yet, I can't seem to lose all the weight I'd like or look the way I think I should look given all the effort I've put forth.

Part of my problem has been consistency. I go all gang busters for a period of time, but then something happens (sickness, death, job stress, etc) which causes me to stop working out the way I was, and then I have a hard time getting back into it again. Kind of like the smoker who "never quits quitting," though, I do eventually get back into a workout routine in an effort to lose more weight.

For some reason, I've decided to take Jillian up on her challenge to shed weight in the next 30 days. We'll see if this time is different. I'm logging this experience because maybe it will shed some light into my own inability to stick with a work out program.

No comments: