Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day 1

The alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. My goal was to be out of bed before K. I got out of bed at 5:46, two minutes before the second snooze, and one minute before K.


After previewing Jillian's workout, my plan was to start with the Level 1 workout and use 5 lb weights. I figured 5 lbs would be no problem, I've been using 8 lb weights with Jari for the last month. By the end of the first set of strength exercises, I've switched to 2.5 lb weights, and I don't feel guilty about it.


In the beginning, I'm skeptical that Jillian's 20 minute workout will be enough; I'm used to Jari who keeps going for about 60 minutes in each of her intense workout sessions. When I start Jillian's program, I think I'll do Level 1 and Level 2 back to back for a total of 40 minutes. I think I can handle that, despite what I've read in the reviews of Jillian's program. At least I can't say I wasn't warned, I simply failed to heed the warnings.


About half-way through the first 20 minutes of Level 1, I decide to simply repeat Level 1.


At the end of the first 20 minutes, I am dripping with sweat and out of breath, I'm in no shape to do anything but the cool down!


Maybe tomorrow.


At first blush, the major difference between these programs (besides the length) is the fact that Jillian gives you absolutely no time to rest, not even for a drink of water. In contrast, Jari has you stretch after each short segment. That much stretching is annoying, and I admit that on occasion, when I am pressed for time, I fast forward through some of the stretching, but Jillian's extreme is no better, I need to drink water when I exercise. I admit, I missed the first few repetitions of a few of the exercises so I could gulp some much needed water.

No comments: