Thursday, January 29, 2015

Throwback Thursday, workout edition

In honor of "Throwback Thursday," I picked out an old workout that was provided to me by a personal trainer I worked with about 4 years ago.

This workout was harder for me than I expected. There are a lot of push ups!  I started out doing the push up/taps that Jenna Wolfe introduced to me, but by the end, I was not able to do the taps, just the push ups.  I also modified the workout by doing true jumping jacks instead of the designated "walking jacks."

I was able to finish this workout in just over 40 minutes, and I broke a significant sweat.  For some reason, I equate a "good sweat" with a "good workout," but I've been told that there's really no correlation.  Some people, like me, I guess, just sweat more than others.  I think originally this workout was designed to be done in about 30-35 minutes.  I tried to go from one exercise to the next without much rest in between, but it was difficult, at times, for my old bones to transition quickly from the floor to an upright movement.  Yikes, I'm getting old!

Overall, I thought this was a good workout for me at this point in my attempt to recommit to working out regularly.  I will do this one again, soon.

As a parting thought, I'd like to share with you how much I did not want to workout yesterday afternoon.  I typically do not go to the gym on Wednesdays because that is my designated day to be home with the kids after school.  So, after getting home from work and helping the kids with their homework and chores, I found myself procrastinating.  I found other things to occupy my time to avoid working out.  At one point, my son even called me out on it, asking me why I kept saying "I'm going to work out," but not actually doing it. Part of the reason I'm making these changes in my life is to set a good example for my kids.  So, I hope yesterday's "teachable moment"  - doing something I really didn't feel like doing - will someday resonate with my kids.

No comments: