Monday, July 13, 2009

New Post!

I did it, I got outside and ran for the first time in a looooong time. I gave myself a goal of running for 20 minutes straight which I'm happy to report I accomplished. Twenty minutes may seem like a long time for someone, like me, with very little running experience, but for me, running is all mental. I kept telling myself that if I can jump around with Jillian Michaels barking orders at me for 30-45 minutes, then I can run for 30 minutes. I just kept repeating that mantra, and before I knew it, my 20 minutes was up. I then walked for an additional 15 minutes. The ironic part is, for the last 5 minutes of my run, I was behind an older couple who wa walking at a moderate pace. I was trying to catch up and pass them. While I was running, I could not catch up to them, but as soon as I started doing my "sprint walk" I caught up to them in a flash and left them in the dust behind me. I guess that means I have to pick up my running pace considerably, but I wasn't worried about that too much yesterday, I just wanted to get out there and run. We'll see where it goes from there.

I plan to run every other day and alternate yoga and strength training on the days I don't run.

No comments: