Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A math problem = A weight problem

Question: What is 25 lbs minus 15 lbs plus 10 lbs minus 8 lbs?

Answer: For the past few days I've been trying to come up with a creative answer to the above question, but I keep coming back to the same answer: It is my weight fluctuation over the past 2 summers.

For the better part of the last two summers, I have been attempting to lose 25 lbs. Today, I am at a critical juncture in my attempt to lose weight. Since returning from our vacation, I have floundered around trying to figure out what to do next. I am rapidly sliding off the exercise and eating right train. I should probably admit that I'm off of it altogether, but I'm not ready to concede anything yet. I have not stepped on the scale, but I can tell by the way my clothes fit that I am starting to gain weight again, and I know I need to nip these gains in the bud. I need to get back into an exercise routine, and now!

The only thing that works for me when trying to lose weight is watching what I eat and exercising. I have never been able to lose weight by dieting alone and neither have I ever been successful at losing weight solely by exercising. So, let me write that again... the only thing that has ever worked for me when trying to lose weight is eating right and exercising.

But, eating right and exercising all the time is hard! Truthfully, I don't even think I eat that poorly. If I learned anything during my weeks at Weight Watchers it is that I have a problem with portion control. I eat way more than I should. So, even though I eat healthy foods, I'm eating way too much. I also have a problem with self-control, at times, especially when we're out to eat or at a party.

If I could give up wine, I honestly believe I could shed 5 lbs easily, but I just can't give it up. (See... lack of self-control.) I'd be fine Sunday through Thursday, it's those darn weekends.

I've started to run, but I need to get going more than 3 times a week, and I need to push myself harder. It looks like my plan to run in the Detroit Marathon relay with my neighbor isn't going to happen, so I'm thinking about finding another run to participate in. I just need to figure out what is a reasonable goal to attain within a reasonable time.

I was going to write that I'm planning to start over again tomorrow morning. But, as I was typing the sentence, I kept saying to myself, why wait until tomorrow? Go for a run tonight. And so I did. I made it 2.8 miles. I'm slow, but steady.

Tomorrow is yet another day, and I'm trying to come up with some strategies to get myself back on track.

No comments: