Friday, February 7, 2020

Friday Feature: Weekend Plans

If I continue to write these weekend plan posts, I know I will sound like a broken record when I write about how busy our weekend will be. I also think it might be helpful in my journey to review how the previous weekend went. So, I’ll start with a recap first. In general, I thought I did pretty well following my eating plan and sticking to my bright lines, but of course there were speed bumps along the way. The first bump was at dinner on Saturday night where I ended up being starving. I thought I had spaced out my earlier meals correctly so I wouldn’t end up that way, but the pre-dinner fellowship with friends took way longer than I expected. By the time we sat down to dinner, I could barely control myself when the bread plate was delivered.  I was in control for a bit, repeating my mantras, but the longer we waited for the waiter to come around and take our meal orders, I just couldn’t resist a few small bites of lavash, not the worst choice, but then I also made an impulse order of “shrimp bisque” without really thinking about the ingredients, it just sounded good, and my willpower stores were so depleted at that point.  I regretted my order as soon as the waiter moved on, but I didn’t cancel it.  When the soup came, it didn’t live up to my expectations, so after a few bites, I set it aside, but the damage was done… the rest of dinner was fine, I ordered the salmon and spinach dish that I had picked out ahead of time, I drank sparkling water the entire evening, and said no to dessert.

Sunday brunch was a disappointing experience, but not necessarily related to my food choice.  The restaurant decided at the last minute not to serve its brunch menu, only its dinner menu.  Not what we were looking for at 11:00 am on a Sunday.  I spent some time talking to whomever would listen about my bright lines.  Though there were lots of desserts floating around the table, I easily resisted them. 

I also did well at our Super Bowl party.  The items I made were all BLE friendly. For the most part I only ate one time and avoided grazing for the entire night, but despite what SPT says about “every action is preceded by a thought,” I’m not sure that’s entirely true.  I found myself popping food into my mouth without thinking about it first.  It was an automatic reaction to seeing the food set out on the counter. I didn’t have time to or the ability to stop myself by reciting a mantra.  I guess on some level, subconscious or conscious, I had a thought first, but it didn’t last long enough for me to process it and prevent myself from popping it into my mouth.  Now that I’m aware of this “automatic” response to food, I will work on it.

I started off here by writing that I “thought” I did well, and what I mean by that is that I didn’t have any sugar, didn’t drink any alcohol, and only had a few bites of flour.  I also crossed the time frame bright line by grazing a bit, but none of these were egregious, in my opinion, yet the scale tells a different story, despite how well I think I did, the scale shows that I gained 1.1 lbs.  In the scheme of things, I know this isn’t catastrophic, and that my weight will always fluctuate a bit, but after 7 straight days of loss, seeing the scale tick up was disappointing.  I can’t help but wonder how would I be feeling if I had really gone off the rails?

This weekend kicks off with dinner with friends at a new restaurant in our hometown on Friday night. Saturday we are hoping to rescue a new pup (more on that later), and that night we’re hosting book club couples dinner where I’m serving BLE friendly chicken cordon bleu.  As of now, there’s nothing on the calendar for Sunday, so I’m hoping to catch up on some reading. I’m falling behind in my PopSugar  and ATY Reading Challenges (more on that later, too!)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Let me know what you’re up to in the comments.

No comments: