Tuesday, November 17, 2015

I got old!

The last time I was serious about losing weight and being fit, about four years ago, I:

1.      was thinking about re-entering the         
  workforce full time
2.      wasn’t forty years old, and
3.      weighed 130 pounds.    

At least that’s what I gleaned from reading the last post I published in September of 2011.

Since then, I:
1.      went back to work full time
2.      turned 40, and
3.      gained 30 pounds.

In my mind, it is not a coincidence that I gained this weight. In the past four years I simply lost control.  I lost control of my eating habits.  I skipped breakfast replacing it with a skinny vanilla latte or other such coffee drink from Starbucks.  I failed to pack a healthy lunch, opting to either go out or eat a frozen meal.  I lost my work out mojo.   I rarely worked out.   I did workouts here and there and even had a trainer coming to the house for a few months back in 2013, but I have not been able to sustain healthy habits for any  significant period of time since going back to work full time.  I have a mostly sedentary job, this fact became crystal clear to me when I began using an activity tracker, specifically the Jawbone Up.   

So, I have resolved to take control of my weight and get back down to a reasonable weight.  

Let me stop here for a moment and talk about my weight.  Before I started this six week challenge, I was not even certain if I had gained 30 pounds in the last 4 years because honestly, I had not stepped on a scale in over a year, if not more.  I loathe the scale.  I hate the idea of stepping on the scale because I know it will reveal an obnoxiously obscene number.  Before I started this challenge, what scared me most was the possibility that I weighed even more than I thought I did, and that came true when I had my official weigh-in for this challenge.

Today, the scale is still not my friend.  I still tremble at the thought of stepping on it because though the numbers have been dropping of late, I know there will come a time when the scale will disappoint me... it will show no loss or a small loss despite all of my hard work and effort.  I'm not sure how I will handle that when that day comes...

No comments: