Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Gah! This is why my job makes me fat!

Another day at the office means, another day of dodging sweet treats.  Today's yummy looking treat is called a cartooci, and according to my co-worker who brought in a box of them, a cartooci is a cross between a cannoli and a donut. I am employing all of Susan Thompson's coping strategies at once, mediating, repeating the mantras one after the other: thatisnotmyfood, that'snotfood,that'spoison, nomatterwhatdon'teatthat, don'teatthatnomatterwhat. I'm also avoiding the conference room where they're sitting, and I'm drinking water to curb the mouth-watering sensation going on in my mouth.


I know I'm not alone in this struggle.  I recently hit on this article that confirms that my job is making me fat because according to a federal study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American workers "acquire" almost 1300 extra calories per week at work, and these calories are acquired from foods that have limited nutritional value such as pizza, cake, cookies, brownies, donuts, and candy, just to name a few. Yep, those are the prevailing treats regularly brought to my office setting. 

Today, I'm not going to eat one... I won't even have one bite, lick or taste of this cartooci or any other sweet treat that might find its way to our conference room table.  Today, cartooci's are not my food, and I'm not going to eat that no matter what, no matter what I'm not going to eat that because it's not food, it's poison. 

But the sweet treats that are brought into the office are not the only reasons my job may have contributed to my weight gain, there are plenty of other contributing factors: hours of sitting, stress, eating out for lunch, office parties, and eating from my colleague's bottomless candy jar. Making changes with respect to those factors is also something I'm working on as I continue doing this BLE program. 

So friends, how do you cope with the office food culture?

Edited and updated Wednesday, Jan. 29: Today's offering, muffins from Ridley's. Gah! Help!



No comments: