Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday Feature: Weekend Plans


We have another full weekend ahead, and of course most of it revolves around food!  In the past when I’ve tried to lose weight, no matter how well and on point I’ve been during the week, the weekends often derail me.  I’m resolved and committed to not let that happen this weekend.  

In the few video messages sent by Susan Thompson, I’ve gleaned a few strategies for coping in social settings that revolve around food.  For example, eating before leaving, perusing the restaurant menu ahead of time to determine if you can make something work, and taking food and/or drinks to a party that fit within the meal plan.  In extreme situations, SPT also encourages the use of an emergency action plan (“EAP”).  Some of her ideas that I might try to employ include: (1) finding a quiet corner or a locked bathroom to meditate and re-set an intention. She suggests that even 2-3 minutes of deep breathing is enough to help the brain re-focus and re-set. (2) engaging in service.  By this she means something as simple as helping the host with a chore or some other task that will serve as a distraction, and finally, (3) she mentions simply talking about the struggle with someone, preferably someone who is also trying to lose weight.  That social connection or commiseration may be just the ticket to get through a depletion in willpower stores.

Here are our plans for the weekend, some of which may require the EAP:

We’re playing cards with friends on Friday night. I’m taking a cheese and veggie tray (no crackers). Saturday morning I’m scheduled to attend a Vinyasa yoga class (no food there!), and that night we have dinner plans with my husband’s investment club (lots of food and wine at a fancy restaurant, HELP!)

Super-Sunday we have brunch plans (more food) with family to celebrate my MIL’s birthday, and then we are having friends over to watch the Super Bowl (more food!) I've planned a menu that incorporates mostly things that I can eat.  I can't control what others are bringing, but those are "not my food!"  I’d like to sneak in a yoga class on Sunday morning, but the timing doesn’t work with the brunch plans. I will try to make it work, but it will be a last minute decision.

Tell me what you have planned for this weekend.  What strategies will you employ for not overeating?

No comments: